Friday, August 12, 2011

Easy adjustment: Only buy things you really like.

Okay shopaholics, this one is for you, but hear me out first.

An easy life adjustment that would save you space, be good for your bank account and good for the planet is:
Only buy what you really like love.


I myself am still trying hard to put this into practice but I think I'm getting better at it. This is usually how it works:
- I realize I need something (cheese grater, candle, table, etc.)
- I go to the store and buy the first one I see.
- I bring it home and I don't really like it.
- I keep an eye out for a better one.
- I find one and feel guilty having two. (I may or may not keep them both or give one away or even worse, throw the one I don't like out.)
The end.

Alternatively, it could work this way:
- I'm already at the store and see something I like.
- I think for a few minutes how it would look at home or in my closet (or not even.)
- I buy it.
- I bring it home.
- It never gets any use... and even worse, I feel guilty.
The end.

So here's my proposal on how this should work:
- I see or think of something I need.
- I do some research about prices, analyse your closet or kitchen or where ever this thing would go. Check out my favourite websites/stores, like www.etsy.com (They're not paying me to promote them, I just stumbled across it a few weeks ago and think it's a great idea. There are lots of cool things on there.)
- I find something I really love.
- I buy it. I use it. I love it.

I realize I may be coming off as slightly idealistic but I haven't given up on window shopping. I use it as a way of brainstorming for things that I would really love to own and then I keep a look out for them. If you wanna go a step further, step into a second-hand or vintage store every once in awhile and see if someone is selling something you really want to own. This includes waiting and saving up for something that's high quality and will last you longer. Once I started being aware that objects can actually make me happy if I've really, really found something I love, I started being more careful about what I choose to buy.

For example...


...I've been wanting a new strainer for a long time. We own an ugly plastic one, which I really don't like. I don't remember where it came from but I'm guessing we've had it for awhile. My friend showed me her beautiful strainer one day while we were cooking in her kitchen and I've been dreaming of one ever since. I went to Bonus Kirppis on Itsenäisyydenkatu in Tampere and found the perfect one! I actually found two: a red one and a green one, but settled on the green one because it was randomly 2 euros cheaper. I still love it though, and I get a certain pride out of using it. Those are the kinds of objects I want in my life, not the ones that give off guilt for being mistreated or left to gather dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment